The Ultimate Fighter season 23 winner, Tatiana Suarez returned to fighting at UFC Vegas 70. After staying away from the Octagon for nearly 4 years, Suarez finally felt that the time was right to make the walk to the cage once more. On her return, she fought Montana De La Rosa in the flyweight division. However, the card also had other exciting fights as well.
Rising light heavyweight contenders Nikita Krylov and Ryan Spann were originally going to headline the event. However, Nikita could not make it to the Octagon as he suffered from food poisoning. Although Ryan Spann was disappointed with the development, there was no other choice for the company. Andre Muniz vs Brendan Allen was promoted to the main event slot.
So how did the card go all in all? The event ultimately had 10 fights on it, with 6 of them coming in the preliminary card. From dominant submissions to last-second knockouts, the event had everything. Although it certainly lacked the star power, the fans were compensated with thoroughly entertaining fights.
UFC Vegas 70: Prelims results
• Trevor Peek vs Erick Gonzalez: Trevor Peek knocked out Erick Gonzalez at the 4:59 minute mark of the first round.
• Jasmine Jasudavicius vs Gabriella Fernandes: Jasmine Jasudavicius defeated Gabriella Fernandes via unanimous decision.
• Jordan Leavitt vs Victor Martinez: Jordan Leavitt knocked out Victor Martinez at the 2:27 minute mark of the first round.
• Ode Osbourne vs Charles Johnson: Ode Osbourne defeated Charles Johnson via split decision.
• Joe Solecki vs Carl Deaton: Joe Solecki submitted Carl Deaton at the 4:55 minute mark of the second round.
• Rafael Alves vs Nurullo Aliev: Nurullo Aliev defeated Rafael Alves via majority decision.
UFC Vegas 70: Main card results
• Nikita Krylov vs Ryan Spann: Many were looking forward to this particular contest. With Jamahal Hill at the top of the division, the champ needs new contenders. The winner of this fight potentially could have been a title challenger. Unfortunately, the bout was canceled after Krylov came down with a food-related sickness.
• Andrew Muniz vs Brendan Allen: Although they were not scheduled to do so, Andre Muniz and Brendan Allen ultimately headlined the first UFC Fight Night card of their respective careers. But the fight was nothing spectacular. Muniz had a fierce reputation as a great submission artist. But Allen made a statement as he submitted Muniz via rear-naked choke at the 4:25 minute mark of the third round.
• Augusto Sakai vs Don’Tale Mayes: The Brazilian heavyweight fighter Augusto Sakai was on a 4 fight-losing streak heading into the bout. On the other hand, Don’Tale Mayes had won 2 out of his last 3 fights. Hence, fans were fearing the worst for Sakai. However, Augusto showed his class and utterly dominated the contest to earn a unanimous decision win.
• Tatiana Suarez vs Montana De La Rosa: Tatiana Suraz looked a bit nervous at the beginning of the fight. However, that is understandable as it is her first UFC bout in about 4 years. But she found her old rhythm in the second round and she ended up finishing Montana De La Rosa with a guillotine choke at the 2:51 minute mark of the second round.
• Mike Malott vs Yohan Lainesse: Mike Malott dominated the fight throughout. From controlling the cage to landing some vicious strikes, Malott was all over Yohan Lainesse. Yohan only landed 1 strike in the fight and ended up getting submitted via arm triangle at the 4:15 minute of the very first round.
Did you have the chance to catch UFC Vegas 70? If you did, which one was your favorite fight? Let us know in the comments down below.