In the world of WWE, where scripted drama unfolds, the toll of real pain is undeniable. Professional Wrestling, often dismissed as ‘fake,’ carries a legacy of true suffering. Within its choreographed spectacle lies genuine risk, as performers push their bodies to the brink in pursuit of entertainment.
Recent reports shed light on a cluster of WWE stars grappling with injuries, adding a layer of authenticity to the physical challenges they endure. A group of seven standout wrestlers finds themselves wrestling with pain:
- Roman Reigns: The Undisputed WWE Universal Champion, Roman Reigns, faced his cousin Jey Uso in a fierce showdown at SummerSlam 2023. Although Reigns triumphed, Wrestling Observer disclosed he suffered an injury early in the match. Stoically, he pressed on, completing the contest. His resolve remains unshaken, as he soldiers on to Smackdown.
View this post on Instagram
- Kevin Owens: The ongoing rivalry between Kevin Owens and The Judgment Day took a real-life turn when Owens sustained a legitimate injury during a North American Championship match against Dominik Mysterio. Subsequent backstage scenes showed Owens in evident discomfort, spotlighting the genuine challenges of his craft.
- Sami Zayn: Scheduled for a pivotal main event on WWE Raw, Sami Zayn‘s plans were dashed when he fell victim to a backstage assault by JD McDonagh. The visible swelling on Zayn’s elbow stood as a testament to his authentic injuries, forcing match alterations and casting a shadow on his in-ring future.
- Randy Orton: Since May 2022, Randy Orton has grappled with a back fusion injury, sidelining him indefinitely. The anticipation for his return remains high, yet current reports paint a picture of continued absence.
- Dakota Kai: A Torn ACL has kept Dakota Kai from action since May 12, 2023. Her appearance during the championship celebration of IYO SKY at SummerSlam offered a fleeting glimpse. Although, her in-ring return remains an enigma.
- Braun Strowman: Absent from television since May 2023, Braun Strowman underwent Neck Fusion Surgery and embarked on a rehabilitation journey. Despite his tweet confirming the procedure, a return date remains elusive.
- Shane McMahon: A surprise participant at WrestleMania 39 Day 2, Shane McMahon‘s return took an unforeseen twist as he tore his quad muscles during the match with The Miz. Escorted by medical personnel, his future in the ring remains uncertain.
These celebrated WWE figures, ensnared by the throes of injury, underscore the genuine hazards embedded in their profession.
What is the fate of the WWE titles?
Following SummerSlam 2023, a cloud of uncertainty hovers over WWE titles as a wave of injuries engulfs the roster. With a majority of WWE Superstars sidelined, the looming question emerges: who will step into the ring for upcoming events?
In Roman’s most recent showdown with Jey, Reigns notched up his third successful title defense this year. Holding the WWE Undisputed Universal Championship for an impressive 1,070 days, The Tribal Chief shows no inclination to relinquish his title any time in the near future.
View this post on Instagram
NXT Heatwave, WWE Payback, NXT No Mercy, and Crown Jewel 2023 stand on the horizon, their lineups and potential title winners shrouded in ambiguity due to the extensive list of wounded stars. As the calendar marches forward, fans eagerly await news of recoveries. Moreover, hoping for a clearer picture of the fate of coveted WWE championships.