Bethesda Game Studios’ latest release Starfield is an action role-playing game. It is set in a space-themed setting. Starfield released for Windows and Xbox Series X/S on September 6, 2023. This game comes as the first new intellectual property developed by Bethesda Game Studio in 25 years.
This game allows the player to play by switching between a first-person and third-person perspective at any time. Starfield features an open world( an area within the Milky Way galaxy) and has both fictional and non-fiction planetary systems.
“For all, into the slipstream.”
— Halo (@Halo) September 6, 2023
The game contains more than 1,000 planets that the players can land on and comes with an unspecified number of moons and space stations. The game has been received well by the gaming community and has garnered 6 million players on its first two days of launch.
What is DLSS?
DLSS which stands for Deep Learning Super Sampling, is developed by Nvidia. Artificial intelligence is used by DLSS.
Nvidia’s DLSS is an upscaling technology aided by Artificial Intelligence that makes games run faster, work smoother, and look better by rendering fewer pixels. It then uses Artificial Intelligence to upscale the image at a higher resolution.
DLSS comes powered by the new fourth-generation Tensor Cores and Optical Flow Accelerator on GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs to boost the game’s framerate performance. This comes in handy when the GPU struggles with intensive workloads.
Steps to enable DLSS in Starfield
Bethesda has launched Starfield without native Nvidia’s DLSS support. This has compromised the game’s performance on PC. According to sources, Bethesda is now planning to add Nvidia’s DLSS upscaling technique to Starfield soon.
PureDark has come to cater to this problem and has launched Nvidia DLSS 2 as a mod. Now Starfield has DLSS 3.5 support for the game. This mode can now be utilized by NVIDIA GPU owners.
There are many DLSS mods available for Starfield. The two most popular are PureDark’s Starfield Upscaler- Replacing FSR2 with DLSS or XeSS which grants DLSS2 integration, and Starfield Upscaler FG Build which grants DLSS3 integration.
Step by Step guide on installing Starfield’s DLSS mods-
- Download UpscalerBasePlugin mod.
- Download Nvidia DLSS dll pack.
- Download “Starfield Upscaler – Replacing FSR2 with DLSS or XeSS” mod.
- Open the folder containing (Starfield Upscaler – Replacing FSR2 with DLSS or XeSS) and click on “Extract All”.
- Choose the Starfield folder as the destination.
- Open the mods folder in the Starfield game folder.
- Open the UpscalerBasePlugin folder.
- Open the folder containing UpscalerBasePlugin mod.
- Drag the .dll file into the Starfield-mods-UpscalerBasePlugin folder.
- Open Nvidia DLSS pack folder.
- Select the .dll file from Nvidia DLSS pack and drag it into the Starfield-mods-UpscalerBasePlugin folder.
- Close all folders and launch Starfield.
- Hit the “END” key in the main menu. A panel will open in the top-left corner.
- Check that “Enable” is ticked, and “Upscale Type” is set to DLSS.
- Open the Starfield settings menu, and select Display.
- Enable FSR2. (DLSS2 mod will now get enabled in Starfield).
Starfield’s DLSS mods will only be available for Nvidia GPUs. It will not be available for AMD GPUs as DLSS is developed by Nvidia and is Nvidia original.