Steam by Valve Corporation is a video game digital distribution service and storefront. It was launched in September 2003, as a software client to provide games updates for Valve Corporation’s games. In 2005 it expanded to distributing third-party titles.
Steam comes with a host of features, such as digital rights management, game server matchmaking, Anti-Cheat measures by Valve, social networking along with game streaming services. The client functions of Steam include game update automation, and cloud storage, along with community features like direct messaging, in-game overlay functions, and, a virtual collectible marketplace.
Today, Steam is the largest digital distribution platform for PC games, with about 75% market share in 2013. By 2017, games purchased through Steam amounted to US$4.3 billion. Steam had over 34,000 games with over 132 million monthly active users by 2021.
Happy 20th birthday to us! 🎂 And thank you to all of you – Steam would be nothing without you. In celebration, today we brought back the green, put together a little walk through memory lane, and have sticker gifts for all! Thank you again 💖https://t.co/AgacMON2oR pic.twitter.com/xrC4TuWRmx
— Steam (@Steam) September 12, 2023
The year 2023 marks the 20th year of Steam being launched back on September 12, 2003. Steam celebrated its 20th birthday with a nostalgic green-themed update to its storefront and a trip down memory lane. Users who have been with the Steam platform for 20 years earned special badges.
Valve’s Steam has come a long way from launching Counter-Strike to now becoming a major gaming storefront. Steam to celebrate its birthday has also launched the “Steam 20th Anniversary Sale” which will be there till September 19.
Steam 20th anniversary sale
The anniversary sale by Steam will have huge discounts on all of Valve’s Titles and also on some of the top selling Steam games from 2003 to 2023.
Here is the list of the games that are now been offered at huge discounts as part of Steam’s “20th Anniversary Sale”:
- Half Life – 90% off at $1.71
- Half Life 2 – 90% off at $1.71
- Counter Strike – at $1.85
- Half-Life 2: Episode 1 – at $0.79
- Half-Life 2: Episode 2 – at $0.79
- Hitman: Blood Money – at $3
- Portal – 90% off at $1.85
- Left for Dead and Left for Dead 2 – 90% off at $1
- Just Cause 2 – 75% off at $3.75
- Portal 2 – 90% off at $0.99
- Terraria – 50% off at $4.99
- Terraria 4 Pack – at $14.99
- Watch dogs – 85% off at $4.49
- Rise of The Tomb Raider – 80% off at $2.49
- Assassin’s Creed Origins – 85% off at $8.99
- Shadow of The Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition – 89% of at $9.90
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection – 75% off at $9.99
- Red Dead Redemption 2 – 67% off at $19.79
- Valheim – 40% off at $11.99
- Mass Effect: Legendary Edition – 80% off at $11.99
- BattleBit Remastered – 20% off at $11.99
There are many other titles on discounts apart from the sale but these are the ones that Steam itself is offering. The sale will last till September 19 so be sure to grab the games you want.