The boxing world witnessed a thrilling showdown on Saturday night. YouTube sensation Jake Paul faced off against UFC veteran Nate Diaz in a 10-round bout. As a serious threat in the ring, Paul showed off his boxing skills and power yet again. He had already knocked out former NBA player Nate Robinson and former UFC fighter Ben Askren.
Upon witnessing the boxing match, UFC Fighter Dustin Poirier shared his thoughts on the bout. He took to X to mention that the sport was not cut for MMA fighters. “These MMA guys can’t do it,” Poirier said.
These mma guys can’t do it
— The Diamond (@DustinPoirier) August 6, 2023
Jake Paul outboxed and outclassed Diaz to win by unanimous decision. The Problem Child showed his superior skills and power throughout the fight, landing crisp combinations. He also stunned Diaz with a left hook that sent him tumbling to the canvas in the fifth round.
Diaz, who had not fought since June 2021, looked rusty and slow, unable to cope with Paul’s speed and accuracy. Adding to his troubles, a cut above his right eye bled heavily in the later rounds. The judges gave Paul a wide victory, scoring 97-92, 98-91, and 98-91.
Nate Diaz accepts $10 million rematch against Jake Paul
After the fight, Paul challenged Diaz to a rematch in mixed martial arts, the sport where Diaz made his name as a former title challenger and fan favorite. Paul said he was willing to offer Diaz $10 million to fight him in PFL, the MMA promotion that Paul has signed with and has equity in.
Jake Paul offers Nate Diaz $10 million to fight him in a MMA rematch pic.twitter.com/7XCefAm89m
— calfkicker (@calfkickercom) August 5, 2023
“I want to run it back in MMA,” Paul said. “$10 million in PFL, that’s the offer. Let’s run it back in MMA. Your territory, let’s do it.” Diaz accepted the challenge, saying he already won the fight in his mind by attempting a single-leg takedown and a guillotine choke on Paul during some clinch exchanges.
However, not everyone was impressed by Diaz’s performance or his willingness to face Paul again. UFC star Justin Gaethje, who is set to challenge Charles Oliveira for the lightweight title at UFC 274 on Saturday, ripped into Diaz for his recent loss and criticism.
“That motherf*cker has lost over 15 times, like, come on,” Gaethje said at a pre-fight press conference on Wednesday. He also said that Diaz has no chance of beating Paul in MMA, as he lacks the wrestling and power to do so.
Paul vs. Diaz was a highly anticipated and controversial fight of the year, as it matched a social media star with a seasoned fighter in a cross-over event that attracted millions of viewers and dollars. While some praised Paul for his boxing skills and courage, others criticized Diaz for his poor performance and decision to take the fight.
Regardless of the opinions, one thing is certain that Jake Paul vs. Nate Diaz 2 in MMA will be another spectacle that will generate even more buzz and controversy in the combat sports world.